On 15-01-07 04:16 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
On Wed, 2015-01-07 at 10:33 -0800, Darren Hart wrote:
On 1/7/15, 5:22 AM, "Bruce Ashfield" <bruce.ashfi...@windriver.com> wrote:
On 2015-01-07 7:26 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:

External module builds do work in this configuration *if* you pass in
the correct options e.g.:

make -C work-shared/MACHINE/kernel-source
O=work-shared/MACHINE/kernel-build M=${S}

I've put together a quick proof of concept of this below.

<snip>

   KERNEL_OBJECT_SUFFIX = ".ko"

   # kernel modules are generally machine specific
   PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}"

+do_configure[depends] += "virtual/kernel:do_install"

I¹m not clear on the separation of do_shared_workdir and do_install now...

See above, this probably needs to change.

The patch was really a test to see how badly a build would explode with
separate source and builddir and whether the kernel build system can
cope with three separate locations (source, build objects, module). From
that perspective it passed in that I could build oprofile, perf and some
kernel modules. From here we need a step back and to go through and do
it "properly".

Agreed. I've queued all the known patches, and have proven that my
builds work with this applied with minor adaptations.

I've got a first pass through with the consolidation and some other
scribbles notes. I'll generate a topic branch and send it out when
it looks reasonably sane (but not complete .. since we don't want to
sit on large private changes).

Cheers,

Bruce