Hi Renato,

thanks for the comments on my changes.

On 05/31/2016 01:35 PM, Renato Caldas wrote:
My suggestion is that you submit a new patch with those improvements
on top of the quick fix I made. I suggest you also add quotes to the
--exclude options per tar's man page.

I did not find any hints about quotes, where is it written? It also seems to me that the man page in current tar (1.29) is a bit incomplete as it does not mention any 'exclude' option, anymore. At least on my distro (debian).

You might also want to simplify the commit message a bit. I'm fairly
new to yocto (and my view may be wrong), but this is how I would do
it:
- change the component name from "perl-ptest.inc:" to "perl:"

Maybe "perl-ptest" would be ok, too, as it matches the resulting packages name.

- use the commit title to describe the change you made, not exactly
what bug it fixed. Example: "fix tar call according to its man page"
(or something like that)
- describe the change in simpler terms. Taking what you wrote, I would
rewrite it like this:

"The existing tar call on do_install_ptest() did not match the man
page, but worked with older tar versions. The new 1.29 version of tar
has stricter argument handling, and future versions may be even
stricter. Failure to use it according to its manual may result in
arguments being silently ignored and breaking the build."

Yes, sounds good to me. And my original message does not match the remaining changes anymore. Is it ok if I take your text, and add you as Signed-off for the patch then?

So while changing the position of the "*" fixed it for tar 1.29, your
proposed changes are important to future-proof the perl recipe for
newer tar versions. As such, please do submit a new patch.

I will do so, then.

Best regard, Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |