On 1 Aug 2016, at 18:36, Mark Hatle wrote:

Would it makes sense to track the xattrs and linked files and such using some
type of inode reference (virtual or otherwise)?

Since in the case of a hard link, on a normal Linux style filesystem, there will be a single inode that has a reference count higher then 1. Thus you can know the modes, xattrs, etc for that inode.. then the file points to the inode with reference counts. (this might require a rework on internal structures.. but
also might solve the problem.)

Well, that *is* how we track xattrs. And everything else, we do use device and inode, but, we maintain one row for each path, and delete the individual path rows.

This gets back to one of the original design goals, which was to avoid
all the horrific things that happen to fakeroot because it's only tracking device/inode. We *want* the multiple path entries so we can report apparent database problems.

(Side note: There's some performance optimizations that have reduced stability/robustness, and I have plans involving making pseudo smarter about those, and/or allowing configuration to prefer being more cautious.)

-s