On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Pascal Bach <pascal.b...@siemens.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I read several discussions about lifting the default qemuarm target to
> armv7 or higher.
> On the mailinglist and on the internet I also found several mentions about
> machines qemuarmv7 and qemuarma8, but I didn't find any working machine
> configs for them.
>
> What are the planes here?
>
> Is the goal to increase the default to a higher arm version?
>
> Is there a bsp layer for other qemuarm variants (cortex-a8, ...)?

Whatever we replace it with has to be part of linux-yocto and the meta data
that is
carried there, so it can be used for the sanity/smoke test machine for arch
arm.

As such, it has to be feature compatible (network capabilities, disk boot,
etc) with
the existing arm versatile 926ejs platform

There have been newer variants for ages, but since there's been no
compelling
reason to upgrade, I continue to carry the existing platform support along
to the
new kernels. (In fact, I've had a qemuarma9 around for nearly 3 years now,
but
it lacked some disk controller support).

>From the kernel point of view, updating the platform doesn't have any big
benefits,
but for userspace it could shake out issues with toolchains and
instructions, so
there is a gain to be had there.

If someone is motivated, I'm happy to help work on an update to the core
qemuarm
platform .. it just has to meet the criteria above.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Regards
> Pascal
>
> --

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"