On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Ed Bartosh <ed.bart...@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 01:07:48PM +0200, Maciej Borzęcki wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Ed Bartosh <ed.bart...@linux.intel.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I undertood the problem and I agree that wic doesn't provide a solution.
>> >
>> > However, instead of making unformatted space I'd propose to format it,
>> > i.e. to have --max-size option that would confict with --size and
>> > specify upper size limit for the partition. All partition will be
>> > formatted and available for data. This is identical to --fixed-size option
>> > you've described. This approach would solve the problem you're
>> > addressing and it would also make additional space usable.
>> >
>> > I'd also suggest to rename --size to --min-size and make --size deprecated.
>> >
>> > Does this make sense to you?
>>
>> No strong opinions here, just that deprecating --size might current
>> users uneasy.
>>
> By deprecting --size I didn't mean removing it completely. We can just
> print a warning suggesting usage of other options.
>
>> Perhaps --max-size could be a boolean switch? We could just name it
>> --fixed-size (bool, defaults to False), with semantics that if
>> --fixed-size is provided, the partition will have size --size,
>> occurrence of --overhead-factor or --extra-space will raise an error.
>>
> That would work too, but it looks a bit confusing to me to have 2 different
> types of size-related options.

Ok, but now we would have --min-size (previously known as --size) and
--size (or --max-size?). That's still 2 size related options plus a
deprecation warning.

> I agree on raising error on --overhead-factor and --extra-space.
>
> Frankly I'd make --overhead-factor deprecated too as it's too implicit
> from my point of view. May be there are some use cases for it, but I can't
> imagine why would someone want free space to be n times bigger than used
> space.

Well, there are IMAGE_OVERHEAD_FACTOR and IMAGE_ROOTFS_EXTRA_SPACE options.
I suppose that --overhead-factor was added so that you could set it to
1 and get the actual --size you want and/or have it controlled in a
more predictable manner by adding --extra-space.

--
Maciej Borzecki
RnDity