On 11/22/2016 12:54 PM, Kristian Amlie wrote:
On 22/11/16 12:10, Patrick Ohly wrote:

All of these introduce some special mechanism. Let me propose something
that might integrate better with the existing tooling:

The "rootfs" directory gets redefined as representing the entire virtual
file system. When creating a disk image, it gets split up into different
partitions based on the image configuration.

For example, the /home or /data directories in the rootfs could hold the
content that in some image configurations goes into separate partitions.

The advantage of this approach is that the tooling for staging content
for image creation does not need to be changed. The same staged content
then can be used to create different images, potentially even using
different partition layouts.

That's a very good idea. I think it beats all of my suggestions!

I totally agree with this solution, because it is the same approach we are already using for several years.

Instead of wic we are using the genimage tool (http://public.pengutronix.de/software/genimage/) together with a Yocto class for easing image creation, but its pretty much the same concerning its base purpose.

We called the option to split up 'mountpoint' while assuming that the splitted partition will be mounted to the same location in the file system it was taken from.

An example configuration would look like this (stripped down to the essential parts):

  image my-disk-image {
          [...]
          partition root {
                  image = "rootfs.ext4"
                  [...]
          }

          partition home {
                  image = "home.ext4"
                  [...]
          }
  }

  image rootfs.ext4 {
          [...]
          mountpoint = "/"
  }

  image home.ext4 {
          [...]
          mountpoint = "/home"
  }

Maybe a similar approach could be used in wic, too.

Best regards, Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |