>> While testing the proposal above i ran into an issue.
>> When I add PROVIDES = "virtual/jre" to the java recipes and i want to
>> install multiple java versions via update-alternative I can't do that
>> because bitbake tells me:
>>
>> "Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide virtual/jre:"
>>
>> Now the question for me is if this two mechanism are not intended to work
>> together or if I'm doing something wrong.
>>

> This is a hint that you need to set PREFERRED_PROVIDER_foo in your
> local.conf (or machine.conf or distro.conf or...)
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.1/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#var-PREFERRED_PROVIDER
>
> You might also need to set PREFERRED_VERSION, depending on the situation.
>
> My idea would be to allow the user to select a default provider for
I think setting PREFERRED_VERSION is not the issue in my case.

The reason I see the issue is that I also tried to set: RPROVIDES_${PN} +=
"virtual/jre" in order to allow users to select "virtual/jre"
 in an RDEPENDS which I believe is necessary in many cases.

However I don't know of a way to set a preferred RPROVIDER.

>> "virtual/jre" but still allow to install an additional specific java
>> provider if necessary.
>> Is this even possible?
Based on what I found out above, don't think this is possible. Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

Pascal