On 02/20/2018 02:45 AM, Burton, Ross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is now a good time to talk about splitting up meta-oe?  Some layers are
> actively developed and maintained (one example: meta-python), others are
> basically bitrotting and only get touched when something else causes them
> to break world builds (one example: meta-gnome).  I've long felt that
> meta-oe should be split up and the high quality layers managed in their own
> repositories so patches to them don't get held up by breakage in other
> sub-layers.
You make it sound like meta-oe is not a high quality layer.  I could
make the same claim about oe-core master.

I don't see the connection in patches being held up due to breakage in
other sub layers. This only happens if the dependency fail to build.

You lose control over the quality in current layers that reside in
meta-openbedded just like you have no control over all the other layers
residing in the community. It makes maintaining stable versions very
difficult. Well, unless The Yocto Project takes over them.. I guess that
would work then.

> Another advantage of splitting out the high quality layers is that we'd
> like to look at running more community layers through the Yocto
> autobuilder, and granular layers make that easier to manage.
 I thought not including layers in bblayers.conf was easy enough.

> Comments?

What problem do you thing you are trying to solve here?

- armin