From: Andre McCurdy [mailto:armccu...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:19 AM
To: Yong Zhang (AUTO-BI) <zy...@qti.qualcomm.com>
Cc: openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org
Subject: Re: [oe] The license of hostapd v2.6

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:35 PM, Yong Zhang (AUTO-BI) <zy...@qti.qualcomm.com>
wrote:

> May I ask why the hostapd license is set to "GPLv2 | BSD"? According to the
> information we get, the hostapd license is "BSD". Could you provide the basis
> of "GPLv2" license?

Because it's a mistake. The LICENSE definition in the recipe was not updated
when the hostapd licensing was changed in 2012.

Unfortunately these kind of mistakes are not uncommon. Contributors of version
update patches often don't take the time to check carefully for changes in the
source (licensing changes, new configure options,
etc) and there are very few people who review patches sent to the list (even
worse, a negative review on the list is no guarantee that a patch won't just
get merged anyway - so over time people who may be inclined to review patches
tend to stop bothering).

So, in summary - you have found a bug! Perhaps you can submit a patch to fix
the LICENSE definition in the recipe?

----

For reference, the top level of the hostapd source tree contains a COPYING file
which states:

This software was previously distributed under BSD/GPL v2 dual license terms
that allowed either of those license alternatives to be selected. As of
February 11, 2012, the project has chosen to use only the BSD license option
for future distribution. As such, the GPL v2 license option is no longer used.
It should be noted that the BSD license option (the one with advertisement
clause removed) is compatible with GPL and as such, does not prevent use of
this software in projects that use GPL.

Some of the files may still include pointers to GPL version 2 license terms.
However, such copyright and license notifications are maintained only for
attribution purposes and any distribution of this software after February 11,
2012 is no longer under the GPL v2 option.