On 4/9/18 3:23 PM, Andre McCurdy wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 5:52 PM, Khem Raj <raj.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM Martin Jansa <martin.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Ubuntu 14.04 this fails with:
>>>
>>> ../git/gen-des-tables.c: In function ‘write_table_u8’:
>>> ../git/gen-des-tables.c:307:3: error: ‘for’ loop initial declarations are
>>> only allowed in C99 mode
>>>    for (size_t i = 0; i < m; i++)
>>>    ^
>>
>> You can patch this to move declaration just above loop if that helps we
>> should apply such a patch for compatibility sake but I wonder if there are
>> more c99 assumptions at work here
>
> It looks like the upstream intention is to be buildable with c99 + GNU
> extensions, so explicitly setting -std=gnu99 seems reasonable.

see this statement worries me from same document you quote below.

A few C2011 features are used; the intention is not to use any of them
without a fallback, but we do not currently test this.

>   https://github.com/besser82/libxcrypt#portability-notes
>
> There even seems to be a configure check for it, so not sure why
> Centos6 etc get through to a build failure?
>
>   https://github.com/besser82/libxcrypt/blob/develop/configure.ac#L33

thats not checking the defaults, its checking if c99 is supported or not
and that is true for a lot of older compilers.