Daniel L. Johnson wrote:

> With paper records, the nurses in my institution may spend an hour or
> more *after* their scheduled shift is done, creating the paper record.

Even in institutions where they do not spend a full hour, they almost
always spend some (significant) time.

> If an IT system requires concurrent documentation, any time-and-motion
> study will find the IT system to require more time for record creation
> because the record-creation activities often occur "out of sight" in the
> paper world.

I do agree with that. Plus, one must account for the fact that IT
systems are rather more intrusive than paper. They tend to make you stop
your line of thinking and the action that you were trying to accomplish,
just to deal with the IT system own idiosyncrasies.

> My own experience, rather limited I must say, is that getting *to* the
> data-recording step with IT can be rather cumbersome, even if the actual
> typing is easy.  A "smart" system will pop up the entry fields when
> needed, but making it "smart" may be quite an undertaking indeed.

I couldn't agree more.

J. Antas