Groklaw's Tim Daly has an interesting view on the Real Value of Open Source.
Basically, the Open source development model is seen as a model that tries to solve the "innovation happens elsewhere" problem.

From Tim's email:

> ".../... I've been programming for 35 years.
> My current boss has been teaching for about 50 years. His resume
> boasts 150 papers and 7 books.
> My resume mentions work that I've done also. However my work was done
> in companies and is proprietary. In almost every case after I left the
> company the work was abandoned.
> Thus the company has wasted both their money and my time as well as a
> potentially valuable resource."

It seems that he is missing the scientific approach (methodology) that his boss has been using for years...

> "Beyond the survival value is the fact that at the time I leave the
> company I'm the worlds expert in the work I'm doing. Even though the
> company has lost interest in the work there is no reason for it to
> die. There may be other companies who need the same kind of work."

> "... The best person to hire to customize open source software is the
> lead developer."

> "... I predict that there will be an economic shift around open source
> software. Developers will "job shop" with smart companies to rapidly
> customize software. Companies will "lease" developers for short term
> tasks. The result will be added to the open source pile."

Interesting thoughts indeed.

The full article is available at: http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050516122114637

J. Antas