The evolving work-social phenomena are sure interesting. Toyota, and
agriculture research adopting the approach is pretty cool.

I believe there are a LOT of companies incorporating open source work
into RFPs and proposals to get a contract without even talking to the
original developers - this is restricting the pool of talent and time
going into open source projects, unfortunately.

As the article suggests you have to control code submissions to keep the
quality of the product high.  And protecting the image/brand of an open
source project is just as important as rejecting bad code submissions.
Trademark, copyright, and making sure an author's contributions are
advertised properly are all too important... Linus being a great example.

Richard