Will Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 I too agree. Certification is a matter of standards and quality. ther should
be no compromise. The FOSS once equally certified maybe able to make stroner
claims. However because of the collaborative/community type of development,
there could be a waver of the fee or some consideration given if the software
or a version of it is to be given free, and the FOSS based company hopes to
make money by the enterprise edition or by support only. Thus the fee can be
 1. less
 2. full but paid in installments?

 NandA
     Fred,

 I oppose the creation of a separate open source certification
 process.   I think it compromises the opportunity for open source
 solutions to displace commercial solutions, and it distracts open
 source projects from leveraging the collaborative process to create
 seriously superior solutions.

 With best regards,

 [wr]

 - - - - - - - -

 On Mar 27, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Fred Trotter wrote:

 > This is an interesting discussion. However we do have some
 > decisions to
 > make.
 >
 > 1. Does the different nature free and open source medical software
 > warrant
 > different consideration than proprietary models for CCHIT
 > certification
 > pricing. (If a large number of people feel this way then we should
 > draft our
 > own letter.)
 > Yes/No
 >
 > 2. In NOT should the pricing generally be lowered for everyone so
 > that small
 > and open source projects will have the opportunity to get
 > certified. (If you
 > feel this way then you should just sign the emrupdate.com letter)
 > Yes/No
 >
 > Feel free to continue the substance of the discussion by saying why
 > or why
 > not for your answers. In any case if you feel that a letter should be
 > written or signed... now is the time to do so the review window is
 > closing.
 > --
 > Fred Trotter
 > SynSeer, Consultant
 > http://www.fredtrotter.com
 > http://www.synseer.com
 > phone: (480)290-8109
 > email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 > Yahoo! Groups Links

 [wr]

 - - - - - - - -

 will ross
 project manager
 mendocino informatics
 216 west perkins street, suite 206
 ukiah, california  95482  usa
 707.272.7255 [voice]
 707.462.5015 [fax]
 www.minformatics.com

 "Getting people to adopt common standards is impeded by patents."
          Sir Tim Berners-Lee

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yahoo! Groups Links