I'm very much interested in this topic, and wrote a paper for my
Consumer Health Information class at OHSU's Informatics department on
it.  I got an "A" in the class so I must have done something right!
-hopefully that includes this paper.  It is available at:
http://john-norris.net/2007/09/18/online-patient-provider-messaging-systems/#more-12

My idea is to take some of the communication/education aspects of
consumer health and add components from the customer service industry.
 While this goes well beyond the scope of simple messaging, I think
that is where patient provider communication is heading.

In a nutshell there are three main components:
Content Management- the use of predetermined content.
Message Flow Management- the use of message routing systems.
Quality Management- the use of quality matrices and reports.

There may be some CRM FOSS apps that can help with this, but I didn't
see any last I looked.

MailManager, http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailmanager/, seems to be
heading in the right direction, but since the more important content
of the messages should not be via email (HIPPA) it would have to do
its thing with internal web messaging.

Don't want to ramble on, although I could.

Hope this helps-

John

 Regarding FOSS Clinical Messaging
Posted by: "Fred Trotter" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   tr0tt3r
Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:52 am (PST)
Hi,
I would like to discuss my current thoughts on clinical
messaging systems, and encourage others do so here as well.

<<snipped>>

I want to know what I am missing? What else makes a good clinical
messaging system? What else is available in open source that I should
be emulating. Remember publishing your ideas here is a big step to
prevent bad patents from being made!

-FT

--
Fred Trotter