Tim,
         That is great news!

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Elwell, Tim <tim.elw...@misys.com> wrote:

> Fred -- Thanks for posting this. I have been asked to participate in the
> CCHIT Meeting at HIMSS during the 2-3pm timeslot. Who else will be
> participating?

I know that Medsphere will show up in force, and I think that the other
'usual suspects' (ClearHealth, WebReach, DSS) will be there as well. I would
like to see more of the community come out. I am concerned that projects
like WorldVistA-Community and OpenEMR, who have large communities but not
very much corporate presence will be under-represented. This invitation is
to try and get more of them in the room. I am also not sure what the
"call-in" capability will look like and I am concerned that people who
call-in will have a substantially less good experience...

> Perhaps we could use this forum to collect, aggregate and consolidate
> concerns representing various OS community stakeholders and reduce to a
> White Paper for submission.

Anytime I hear the word 'stakeholder' I cringe. What that often means is
'listening to the most well-funded'. This is the mistake that makes CCHIT
assume that they have already been working with us as a community. The
Medspheres and ClearHealths of the world can take care of themselves.
Significant community members like Webreach, Misys Open Source Software,
OpenMRS, Open Health Tools and OpenClinica might be sympathetic but do not
have a direct interest in FOSS EHR systems in the U.S. I really hope that
the WorldVistA-Community shows up in force, since they are a large community
and they have the only certified FOSS system I know of. (Are there others?
That's a question I have not been able to get answered, and is very relevant
now) So I think we will have to not only have to be inclusive with regards
to stakeholders but find a way to fairly differentiate between interests.

Still I think a white-paper is at least in part the way to go. I think it is
something that we should consider sending not only to CCHIT but to the
government. I also think we need to find a way to extend the opportunity to
weigh in to people who are not there.

I am glad that CCHIT is reaching out to people like you that are listening
in the right places (and in the right way!!) that is a very good sign that
this could work out.

Fred Trotter
http://www.fredtrotter.com