Hi,
      Recently the United States Government released its The National
Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/06/25/national-strategy-trusted-identities-cyberspace

This policy will likely provide the overarching identity policy and
direction for the coming National Health Information Network.

       This strategy is an improvement over previous identity efforts
by the US government, which have been stacked in favor of
commercial-proprietary-top-down CA systems. i.e. ICAM
http://www.idmanagement.gov/drilldown.cfm?action=icam

  ICAM essentially assumes that Identity Providers have a profit
model, and as a result, sometimes make requirements that would be
difficult for Open Source identity providers like the pgp-gpg network
or CACert.org to work with. If possible I want them to
avoid making the same mistake again. This proposal is in draft status,
and you can read the current version here:
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/ns_tic.pdf

To comment on the proposal, please visit http://nstic.ideascale.com/

I have already posted a general defense of the peer-to-peer bottom up
and open source model shared by CACert.org and the pgp-gpg community.
You can find that here: http://bit.ly/bDEiBi
Please vote on my idea and I would love to have some comments from
this community. Especially if you live in the United States or have
informed opinions about US policy.

Thank you.

--
Fred Trotter