From: openid-board-boun...@lists.openid.net
[mailto:openid-board-boun...@lists.openid.net] On Behalf Of Don Thibeau
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:29 AM
To: openid-board@lists.openid.net
Subject: [OpenID board] Introducing the 2011 OpenID Community Board
Representatives

Dear Members,
Thank you for voting for those who will represent you at this pivotal time for
OpenID. This is to introduce the newly elected community directors of the
OpenID Foundation Board. In 2011 Brian Kissel and Allen Tom will be fulfilling
the second year of their terms as community representatives.  Marc Frons has
resigned from the second year of his service because of pressing business
issues at the New York Times.
Mike Jones, Chris Messina, Nat Sakimura and John Bradley bring deep domain
expertise in online identity to their board service.  I think it's fair to say
their election reflects a community-wide acknowledgement of the consistency and
quality of their contributions in recent years. The election of Kick Willemse
and Axel Nennker signals an important shift towards more international
leadership on the board. At last week's Identity Next Conference and at the
Identity Summit in Geneva, Nat, John, Kick and Axel led discussions expanding a
more global view of OpenID's adoption and updating its technology with our
colleagues in the EU. Nat, Mike, Kick and John have been elected to two years
terms. David Recordon will represent Facebook in 2011.
It's important to acknowledge the contributions of Luke Sheppard, Mike Ozburn,
Dick Hardt, Joseph Smarr, Daniel Jacobson and Rob Harles. Each contributed the
energy, talent and diversity of views that makes the foundation an occasionally
frustrating, increasingly complex and unique resource in online identity.
Because of their efforts, the 2011 board starts the new year with a mandate for
building momentum around the merged AB/Connect working group and the
restructuring the OIDF to be a more effective, more international organization.

Technology development and board deliberations rarely follow a graceful upward
curve. With the push / pull of competing business models and the cross
jurisdictional impact of online identity, it's easy to underestimate the time
and commitment required of directors to reconcile corporate, community and
global interests in a rapidly changing identity ecosystem. The board has
important work to do right from the start of 2011.  It must leverage and deploy
the unique assets of the foundation, its leadership as a convener of OpenID
Summits , its authoritative voice in standards development, and most
importantly its growing worldwide community.
This is to you to engage with this new board from the start. We will soon
publish a calendar of OpenID Summits, reorganize our governance and advance the
utility of our "product" through the AB/Connect working group.  Blog your views
at openid.net, serve on work groups and contribute to the development of one of
the most important technologies of our time.
Don Thibeau
Executive Director
openid.net<http://www.openid.net>