September 3, 2020 Executive Committee Call Minutes

Present:
Don Thibeau - Executive Director
Mike Jones
Nat Sakimura
Bjorn Hjelm
John Bradley

Absent:
George Fletcher

Visitors:
Mike Leszcz - OpenID Foundation
Tom Smedinghoff - Locke Lord LLP

1.       Don's Communication with the Board
Don has been reaching out to the board and has spoken with most members.  He's
also e-mailed the board.

2.       Bjorn's Conversation with James Bryce Clark at OASIS
Jamie was willing to attend our next EC call.  We'll have a board meeting
before that as currently scheduled.  Bjorn believes that the next EC call is
October 1st.  In OASIS' hiring process, there had been multiple conversations
between the board and their candidate before the offer.  Nat said that the
OASIS position was vacant for nearly a year.  Jamie didn't tell Bjorn how they
reached out to candidates.

Mike Jones said that he believes that time is of the essence and we don't want
to wait until October 1st to get going with the hiring process.  Ideally, we'll
be making an offer before Don's tenure ends so Don can help mentor the new hire.

3.       Meetings
Meetings are currently scheduled as follows: A board meeting is scheduled for
Thursday, September 17th.  An EC call is Thursday, October 1st.  A board
meeting is Thursday the 15th of October.  An EC meeting is Thursday, December
3rd.

The OIDF Virtual Workshop will be Wednesday, October 28th.

Mike Leszcz will also schedule EC calls for November 5th and 19th.  We will try
to have an EC call with Jamie on September 10th.  Mike Leszcz will reach out to
Jamie for scheduling.

4.       Hiring Committee
Nat asked if we should reach out to the full board for hiring committee
participation.  We agreed on a committee of size five.  Mike Jones suggested
having a conversation with Eric Sachs about his experience hiring the last
time.  Mike and Bjorn will be on the call.

Mike Jones asked Don for his recommendations.  Don suggested that we invite
into the process people from the community and from the corporate members.  Don
noted that the whole board is male and we should intentionally reach out to
women and minorities.  Nat and Bjorn should solicit input from all the board
members.  Don believes it's good to have a single point person for the hiring
process.  We thanked Bjorn for being willing to do that.

5.       External Communications
Don has drafted an external statement.  Mike Leszcz proposed that we post it
the day after the board meeting, which would be Friday, September 18th.

Dale Olds will communicate to the corporate members.  George Fletcher will
communicate to the individual members.  Nat will make a statement on behalf of
the foundation.  These will go hand-in-hand with the blog post.  Mike Leszcz
will work on drafts of all of these.

6.       External Engagements
Nat and Don want Don to focus on external engagements during his remaining
tenure.  The OIDF's Response to the EU Expanding the scope of eIDAS is one
instance.  At the FDX Developer's Conference, Joseph Heenan, Nat Sakimura, and
Stuart Low from Australia will keynote.  Mike Leszcz and Don have put together
a list of relationships and contacts.  Nat said that we should do our best to
involve those from external organizations in our working group processes.

7.       Certification Migration
We decommissioned the old Python-based certification suite on August 31st.  Now
only the new Java-based suite is running.  It is now in production mode and we
are charging for certifications.  See the updated instructions at
https://openid.net/certification/instructions/.

8.       Job Description
Mike suggested that people start thinking about the job description.  Bjorn
suggested that Don write a first draft, since he knows what it takes to do the
job.  Don agreed, while saying that it should be a starting point for us.