If you are considering AMD hardware, most 990FX motherboards support both ECC and up to 32GB of memory. They also have support for IOMMU.

I can confirm that for example the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 supports all of the above. I can also recall that I have seen screenshots of ECC options in one of the BIOS/UEFI menus of an ASUS Crosshair V / Sabertooth motherboard.

I'm not 100% sure if the 990FX chipset will work on OI. I will know by the end of next week and can confirm this once I have migrated my system to this motherboard. In the meanwhile I can confirm that motherboards with the 790FX and the 890FX chipsets work fine with OpenIndiana and OpenSolaris.

Robin.

On 2011-12-04 20:57, Harry Putnam wrote:
Hoping to save any more googling and pawing thru specs etc by letting
someone that knows just name motherboards that allow 24 gb max ram and
have option for ECC memory too.

This will be for a zfs server but will also be the home of many
installed guest vms... hence the high ram spec.

I've looked at quite a few asus boards which seem to have ECC option
more or less by default (unlike most others).   But then finding the
24 GB max is another matter...

Or possibly my google stings are poorly thought out or arranged.  Is
anyone else noticing that google seems NOT to honor quotations in
search string any more?