If you like old sun hardware you could pick up an ultra 40 or 20 used. I put a 3ghz dual core in my ultra 20 and 8 gbs of ram + 4 hard drives. The 40 has much better options. I also have a 4x2 core (885s I believe) v40z with 32gb of ram I picked up for 500 dollars a couple years ago. That is my openindiana sunray server. Follow the instructions on the sunray users forum and it works great. No kiosks though. Sadly I have had to retire my old blade1000 due to the same kind of stuff you mention. I use the ultra 20 as a file server and my desktop. 08:21am up 61 days 21:53