I have some external storage which isn't super reliable.  If I don't export it
before shutdown, it will often cause the boot to fail, as it doesn't mount
properly.

I would like to make that pool automatically export during shutdown, or somehow
flag it so the system will never try to import or mount it during bootup.

My best idea is to write a smf wrapper around "zpool export" and "zpool
import."  Is that the best way, or is there a better way, like setting some
sort of pool property, or sticking a flag in some defaults file, or tweaking
the zfs cache file or something?