On  7/06/13 12:36, Christopher Chan wrote:

If your purpose is to provide a distribution with an up to date illumos at its
core and the
applications everybody expects on desk/lap-tops easily installable, then I
consider your
work as a really important and I would be ready helping you to live of it.
But make it possible to easily install all available applications, whether
provided by openindiana,
opencsw or yourself directly. One of the missing ones seems to be asterisk, by
the way.

asterisk?

Now that things seem to be more in the direction of gcc, you'll get asterisk eventually. The main problem with getting asterisk on Solaris was that its code made a lot of use of gcc'isms that Sun Studio CC does not handle.

Do you need hardware support or just asterisk itself with sip support?
Just asterisk. I want to be able to able to handle sip and AIX phones, and connect to other asterisk servers (including public operators-. So far I used sheeva plug computers as asterisk servers with usb sticks as disks, but it is not very reliable en a bit limited. I'd prefer to add this to an openidiana box hugely more reliable and powerfull.

I installed one of these sheeva boxes at home an another in a university in west africa. Both died. and phoning the guys down there over asterisk is a lot cheaper than over the traditional phone !

Marc