On 25/06/13 18:15, James Relph wrote:

All the rest is good but that crle line - ugh.

Ignore that, I should have deleted it out.  I was using that while
trying to sort out the LDFLAGS bit, but it's not necessary.

Aha, good ;-)

One thing in terms of the LDFLAGS line actually that you might know
(I really don't compile stuff this complicated very often!) but I've
currently got:

-L/root/samba-4.0.6/bin/shared/private
-R/usr/local/samba/lib/private

In there.  The installation copies the contents of the
bin/shared/private folder in the installation directory to
/usr/local/samba/lib/private, so is that the correct method, or could
I have put -L/usr/local/samba/lib/private
-R/usr/local/samba/lib/private (ie. would the compiler have been
aware that that's where those libraries were destined for)?

To be honest, it looks a bit odd to me to have a private/ there, but I've not built Samba4 yet, so it's probably fine, and their way to show that some libs should not be linked against by others. As for the linking: the -L bit is probably superfluous, but not hurtful. Most build scripts add automatically the needed relative path at link time, and often even relink when installing. The -R should be good as it is.

Laurent