You need to consider chassis selection with respect to heat generation /
dissipation

Indeed. Two Xeons would consume 2x120W, which means heat and fan noise. I would choose single-processor Core i7 (2.8 GHz, just 35W) fanless chassis design, like this: https://www.quietpc.com/sys-a470s (supporting processors up to 4 GHz and 91W, still fanless). Or if a 14-core Xeon is preferable, like this: https://www.quietpc.com/sys-x490 (this one with fan though). For my own needs a compact chassis design would be ideal, like this: https://www.quietpc.com/sys-sentinel-fanless-s .

Not sure about OpenIndiana compatibility.

Sorry for slight off-topic if dual processor design is a must for you. Maybe someone else would find these links useful.

Dmitry.
P.S. I am not affiliated with quietpc.com, just searching for a new PC. I am more inclined to buy a 21.5" Retina iMac lately.