I did

# zpool remove rpool c1t1d0s0 ( This was the broken disk )

halted the system,.

Physically replaced the VERY old seagate barracuda 500GB with a Seagate ST2000... 2TB disk

booted up, the disk configured and was visible, ran format, put in a partition 0 to cover the whole disk, and then did

# zpool replace -f rpool c1t1d0s0
cannot replace c1t1d0s0 with c1t1d0s0: devices have different sector alignment

Is ths 512b sectors vs 4kb sectors??? Or what happened??

On 2016-09-15 11:27, Hans J Albertsson wrote:

I'm a bit rusty on doing sysadm on OI, but an old workhorse machine in the server room developed a fault on one half of the rpool mirror.

So that disk needs replacing, and the old ones are 500GB but the new ones are 2TB. I happen to have a dozen 2TB new Seagate disks, so there I am. I'll have to replace both.

I'm looking at

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/ghzvx/

Will that instruction work for OI151a7?

I don't have any bootable media available.

My rpool consists of c1t0d0s0 and c1t1d0s0

I think I need to do:

# zpool set autoexpand on rpool
# zpool remove c1t1d0s0

Power down the machine.
Physically replace c1t1d0s0 with a 2TB disk. Boot. Partition the 2TB to have a single partition covering the whole disk. Do I need to run cfgadm to unconfigure the old c1t1d0 first, then powerdown and replace?
And a new cfgadm to configure the new disk after boot?

# zpool replace rpool c1t1d0s0

Wait for resilvering

installgrub to c1t1d0s0?? How?
How to test bootability of new disk?

Then, what do I need to do to replace the still working 500GB disk by a 2TB disk and then make rpool grow to the full 2TB?

Hans J. Albertsson
From my Nexus 5