BTW, here my official confirmation (perhaps for the wiki then? I will also put
this into README for the src release to my personal github for everybody to
review and fetch) : The trick provided by Christian Meier to get Vbox5 running
as root (without the QT problem in Vbox_5_ if run as root) *WORKS* and *VOILA*,
suddenly usb devices (of the real host) do get listed for attachment :-)

No network cable or anything is needed, just locally:

A) ssh -X localhost

and then

B) su  (without -)

C) /opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox

And bingo! USB devices are suddenly all there and also non-USB CD/DVD
passthrough works as root!
This is required to install copy-protected optical media to MS-Win guests, such
as in my case the Russian Language learning software requiring not only a
vendor's genuine serial number but also running authentication checks against
the physical (!!!) DVD itself.

Big special thanks to longterm OpenSXCE community member/supporter and now
Hipster co-migrant Christian Meier
https://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2016-September/019544.html
  !!!
Thanks also to all others who tested and reported, including now also tnx to
Mr. Carl Brewer
https://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2016-September/019560.html

Regards,
%martin