Am 12.10.16 um 22:10 schrieb Aurélien Larcher:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Aurélien Larcher <
aurelien.larc...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Andreas Wacknitz <a.wackn...@gmx.de>
wrote:

Am 12.10.16 um 12:48 schrieb Adam Števko:

Hi,
On 12 Oct 2016, at 13:54, Marc Lobelle <marc.lobe...@uclouvain.be>
wrote:

On 11/10/16 18:19, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
Hi,
here is a short list of packages looking for adoption by a nice
maintainer:

benchmark/iozone
developer/fakeroot
developer/versioning/guilt
editor/bvi
editor/jedit
image/virtualgl
library/idnkit
library/libosip2
library/xmlrpc-c
shell/shmux
terminal/roxterm
web/aget

Considering that we have been talking about this for several months,
if nobody is interested in updating them right now, I guess they
should simply be deprecated instead of carrying old versions around.

Aurélien

Some old open source programs are not maintained any more but they do
well what they are supposed to do. I think xfig is in this case. However
they are still usefull and used. It is always a loss of time to have to
find a source and recompile it when you install a new computer with a
recent OS distribution (such as OI-Hipster1604).

There are also programs that are still maintained but of which an old
version is in OI, such as cups: it is better to have an old cups than no
cups at all.

As long as such programs work I would keep them in distributions. If
one does not like to have them with the others, they could somehow be
flagged as old.

I'll see if I can make a package with a working version of xfig. Can
you point me to an howto (assuming I have  a working compiled version for
OI).

Thanks

Marc

https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland

For packaging tips look for examples in other components. Also write
down any problems with the quality of the documentation, so we can make it
better.

Cheers,
Adam

I would like to see is
     1. A page about build environment preparation, especially what
packages are needed (and how to install them) to build all userland packages
         Some words when you are trying to build in a zone. A downloadable
script would be nice...
     2. How and when to update the build environment.
     3. A sample for a new package (steps that are needed) and a sample
for updating an existing package.
     4. Tips (collection of best practices and caveats).

I think all this would make it easier for newcomers.

I need to update it but this is a start:

https://openindiana.github.io/oi-docs/dev/userland/

It is missing the recent addition of REQUIRED_PACKAGES and pre-publish.

Gaaaah all the = where turned into # ...

http://hub.openindiana.ninja/?q=content/quick-start-oi-userland

For simple packaging tasks and provided that the system is plain Hipster,
installation in a zone is IMHO an unnecessary burden.

Both your links are hidden treasures. But how should a newcomer find them?

Building in a zone has some pros and cons. For me one of the pros is that I can
move my build env easily to a new machine. And yes, there is some burden.
If it is not recommended, it should be stated somewhere. Otherwise some might
fall into this trap...

Regards,
Andreas