On Mon, 17 Apr 2017, Günther Alka wrote:

For my napp-it appliance software, I use dd to identify a disk
based on activity and and the LSI tool sasircu to create a map
of storage bays with the inserted disks and their WWN numbers.

I used the tedious dd approach recently. It is best done in advance of deployment when the system is idle.

I found that 'cfgadm -al' (or something like 'cfgadm -al c17' once the controller has been identified) is useful since it provides identifying information which can be correlated with 'zpool status' and 'iostat -Ei'.

While replacing a failed drive on my 20 drive server, I realized that it is wise to figure everything out in advance while everything is working properly.

Having to do this is really crummy. It would be nice to have a way to turn the location LED on for popular server platforms.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn