OS:
   oi hipster latest updates as of yesterday
 Hardware:
   HP xw8600 workstation 2x Xeon 5470 3.33ghz - 32 GB ram
   3 matched sets of disks in mirror configuration. (including rpool)
   4 TB total space

I jumped from oi 151_9 to hipster about 1.5 mnths ago.  I was running
6 Vbox vms that I cp'ed over to the hipster install but could never
get Vbox installed to run them.

2 days ago, thanks to Jim K and who ever may have helped with his
patches for Vbox  pkgs from their site, I now have a running
Vbox-5.0.28 and have fired up the 6 vms.

vms are 2 gentoo linux, 2 debian linux, 2 oi-hipster

OK, getting to the chase:  In every one of those vms the Ctrl key on
std 104 key US keyboard does not work.  Needless to say such things as vim
and emacs suffer severely when Ctrl does not work.

Even the xterms I use a lot, suffer with no capablility to for INT Ctrl-c, or
^c.

I'm guessing the main OS (oi-hipster) has in someway hijacked
exclusive use of CTRL key.  But I have no idea how to begin to fix
this.

I could really use some input regarding how to go about isolating the
cause and fixing it.

Two other thing with possible relevance is (1) that I use xbindkeys on all
the OS's and have for yrs including on OI.

(Xbindkeys is little program that allows you to see key combos to
start almost anything, run specific commands and etc.)

Used xbindkeys for several years on OI pre hipster and now on hipster.

I use it with guile which means the config file is in a kind of lisp.
That two has been the case for several years including on OI pre
hipster.

And (2) I did just do an update yesterday... just so happens that I
just did get the vms running at the same time so hard to say if that
would have any bearing.