On 05/26/17 04:26 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
Jonathan Adams <t12nsloo...@gmail.com> writes:

Much better than the Linux "file 'which file'" (with back ticks) ...

sudo  file `which file`
/usr/bin/file:  ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1, dynamically
linked, not stripped, no debugging information available

Er... looks like one of the techniques has got it wrong

Or does something else explain this?

That works on Linux distros which have separate 32-bit & 64-bit versions
and compile every binary in the OS to match.

That doesn't work on Solaris-derived distros which have a unified 32/64 bit
version that supports binaries of either flavor, and which many programs are
32-bit so they can run on either 32-bit or 64-bit kernels.

As distros drop 32-bit kernel support, they'll likely convert more and more
of their programs to 64-bit, but it can be a gradual process, not a flag day.

For the one I work on (not OI, but "Big Red"), we've been making this conversion
across 5+ years now, and are >90% done in our development trunk, though much
less done in what's been released so far.  I've written far more about the
topic for the terminally curious at:

https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc/moving-oracle-solaris-to-lp64-bit-by-bit
https://blogs.oracle.com/observatory/oracle-solaris-113-progress-on-lp64-conversion

        -alan-