On 07/27/17 06:05 PM, Daniel Kjar wrote:
My old hardware is dying and I want to move my system to a virtualized environment. I have been digging for ways to do this but I am not sure if I am starting to get frustrated. I wanted to do flarcreate but apparently that never happened for solaris 11. I then looked at conversion P2V stuff but that led nowhere but to some proprietary tools I had don't have a license for. Currently I am installing a distro-const iso into Virtualbox but I suspect that is not going to produce what I need (a pure clone of my old machine).

It is only a single rpool (file storage is NFSed in from another box). Any suggestions? zfs send the rpool to the new virtual machine I made using distro-const? Will that even work being the rpool and all? is there some super easy dd way that I am missing? This system has been running for over a decade and is crusty as hell, I doubt there is any way I could rebuild it from scratch so I would rather not. I don't have the time to try and get perl and imagemagick working together again.

Hi.
I remember moving my SXCE/OI installations from physical hardware to VMware. I don't remember how did I convert production one. Likely, VMware Converter. But I remember using qemu-img to convert physical disks to qcow2/vdk images. And yes, after you moved VM to 'new hardware', you'll have to boot from boot media and regenerate boot archive.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,