Hi Garry

Try adding "-v" at the end of the boot line
that adds additional boot startup messages.

Greetings
Till

On 08/10/2017 03:11 AM, Gary Mills wrote:
On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 09:21:13AM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
On 08/07/17 11:48 PM, Gary Mills wrote:

When I attempted to upgrade to a Hipster version from 2017-08-07, the
install proceeded normally, but the reboot never completed.  The
console (USB) keyboard went dead.  The progress bar on the monitor ran
forever.  There was nothing on the monitor but that progress bar.  I
couldn't login remotely, either.  I had to hold down the power button
to stop it.

First of all, remove console=graphics and everything related to
splash screen from grub menu entry and look what happens on console.

Okay, I did that by editing the boot lines in GRUB before starting the
boot.  All I saw on the screen were two lines:

     SunOS Release 5.11 ... illumos-b7daf79982 64-bit
     Copyright (c) 1983, ...

My keyboard was dead.  The Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights were on.

The disk light came on a few times and stayed on for a long time.  I'd
say that it was trying to read something from the disk and failing.
Now the disk light is permanently off.  There's nothing new on the
screen, just those two lines I mentioned above.  There were no error
messages.