On 08/14/18 10:45, Till Wegmüller wrote:
On 14.08.2018 10:28, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:
Did the Workaround work?
Yes, we have added it to wiki
we have had similar case in the past, and workaround was found:
* https://www.illumos.org/issues/6919#note-7
* that was added to wiki too:

https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.2+VirtualBox#id-72VirtualBox-Virtualizationfeatures

I am a bit confused. Did that workaround work for your current case? If
so why are you asking for a Workaround?

Or was the problem that pkg overwrote 'set disable_smap=1' in /etc/system ?
That one was working, back in time I have added it ...
It is still present, but VirtualBox has crashed...

It looks like that back in the day Virtualbox used an undefined
behaviour to access user data. Looks like a bug in Virtualbox to me. Os
and other devs can workaround it but ultimately If I read Rmustacs
comment correctly on the given illumos bug, then Virtualbox should use
the proper Driver Framework methods to get user data instead of IOctl's.
So unless the behave properly in modern Solarisch OSes there will always
be problem's.
Well, Oracle recommends Solaris 11 (which is modern enough, I presume).

Greetings
Till

Hi Till,

Thanks for answers. I will try another OI update and will post finding here... Right now:
$ uname -rosv
SunOS 5.11 illumos-229852ddf2 illumos # BE is from 20180706

$ pkginfo -l SUNWvbox # Latest one, work fine
   PKGINST:  SUNWvbox
      NAME:  Oracle VM VirtualBox
  CATEGORY:  application
      ARCH:  i386
   VERSION:  5.2.16,REV=2018.07.16.17.17.123759
   BASEDIR:  /
    VENDOR:  Oracle Corporation
      DESC:  A powerful PC virtualization solution
    PSTAMP:  vbox20180716171735_r123759
  INSTDATE:  Aug 06 2018 10:24
   HOTLINE:  Please contact your local service provider
     EMAIL:  i...@virtualbox.org
    STATUS:  completely installed
     FILES:      335 installed pathnames
                  12 linked files
                  27 directories
                  28 executables
                   6 setuid/setgid executables
              428875 blocks used (approx)

If I get time, will try with build from source (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Solaris%20build%20instructions)

Many thanks
Predrag Zečević

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zece...@2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 87, 65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!