On 30/10/2018 15:38, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to start new discussion (old one is "MATE 1.20 and updated GTK+3
for hipster"), because I still have weird problem, and not sure where to report
it or look further...

It does not matter IF i have *fc-cache* enabled or disabled, something is
filling in /var/cache/fontconfig directory. Right now:

$ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
519307

$ du -shc /var/cache/fontconfig/
603M    /var/cache/fontconfig/

Number of files grows (some commands are failing to list content, because it is
long list) more IF I am logged in, otherwise (like during weekend, it has
stagnated: 168000 entries of size ~ 160MB)

Last Friday, I did issued "pfexec pkg fix" which should fix broken packages (it
has reported several font directories were fixed ownership to sys group).

After that I have just emptied that directory ...
Good news is that I have no more high load, but still this growing structure.

Tried several dtrace scripts, but no single one shows PID <--> FILE relation
(most of them expect PID as parameter, but I have no idea which process is
creating files). All I see files are constantly created...

And, also found this (fills in ~/.xsession-errors file):

Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-predrag_zecevic/fam-
end from FAM server connection

I have found that FAM thing is related to /usr/lib/amd64/gam_server - but cannot
imagine it is related to /fontconfig issue.

Is it possible that only me is facing this?
If yes, how to find which change (I might made in past on OI - since move to
/hipster) on my system is causing this?

Many thinks for even reading this.

With best regards.
Predrag Zečević

P.S: During this e-mail writing, number of file grew further:
$ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
526905

man fam:
DESCRIPTION
       FAM, the File Alteration Monitor, is a subsystem that applications can
       use to be notified when specific files or directories are changed.  It
       is intended as a replacement for mechanisms such as poll and select.

So indeed that potentially can have something to do with your
problem if the process polluting your cache wants the FAM service
and doesn't get it and then falls back to something insane.

And there's still the bug addressed here:
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/fontconfig/commits/master>
but seemingly not appliying to your case when fc-cache is switched off.

Have you tried disabling time-sliderd, to check if its lock mechanism
triggers the font cache updates ?
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php