On Tue, 30 Oct 2018, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:

P.S: During this e-mail writing, number of file grew further:
$ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
526905

man fam:
DESCRIPTION
      FAM, the File Alteration Monitor, is a subsystem that applications can
      use to be notified when specific files or directories are changed.  It
      is intended as a replacement for mechanisms such as poll and select.

So indeed that potentially can have something to do with your
problem if the process polluting your cache wants the FAM service
and doesn't get it and then falls back to something insane.

Recent illumos has added Linux compatibility functions to support LX Zone functionality and these compatibility functions might be picked up and used by accident by software which targets Linux. I don't know if there is an emulation of inotify(7) but it seems like something important to emulate for LX Zones.

Regardless, the Dtrace Toolkit provides scripts (opensnoop and iosnoop) which allows observing all I/O activity on the system and so it should quickly reveal the offender.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn