All-

A coworker got a brand new Dell Precision 3630 workstation recently,
and he let me try the hipster installer on it.

I had to switch the BIOS from UEFI to legacy and disable a couple of
secure-boot related settings, and even then I could never get it to
boot from the DVD of the hipster LiveCD.

Booting from USB device works fine.  Neither the LiveCD nor the GUI
installer can start X, though.  It looks like the version of the Nvidia
drivers that's part of the 2019.05 installers might not support the
Nvidia "GP106GL [Quadro P2000]" graphics card that's in the workstation.

I know I've seen a link somewhere about loading updated or additional
drivers, but I can't find it now.  Is there a way to load updated drivers
that the LiveCD or GUI installer can use?  Pointer to the docs
appreciated.

If I switch to the Text installer and boot from USB, that gets farther,
but the installer doesn't see the NVMe drive as a valid install target.  It
recognizes the 2nd disk, which is a traditional spinning disk.

I used the mdb commands from

        https://www.illumos.org/issues/2665

e.g.

        echo "::walk sd_state | ::grep '.!=0' | ::print struct sd_lun un_sd |
::print struct \\
 scsi_device sd_inq | ::print struct scsi_inquiry inq_vid inq_pid" | mdb -k

to print out inquiry info, but the NVMe drive apparently doesn't get
classified as "sd".

Poking around with 'prtconf', I think this is it:

                blkdev, instance #0
                    Driver properties:
                        name='ddi-kernel-ioctl' type=boolean dev=none
                        name='device-nblocks' type=int64 items=1 dev=none
                            value=00000000773bd2b0
                        name='device-blksize' type=int items=1 dev=none
                            value=00000200
                        name='device-solid-state' type=int items=1 dev=none
                            value=00000001
                        name='device-rotational' type=int items=1 dev=none
                            value=00000000
                    Hardware properties:
                        name='devid' type=string items=1
                            value='id1,kdev@wace42e009a062916'
                        name='inquiry-revision-id' type=string items=1
                            value='80002111'
                        name='inquiry-product-id' type=string items=1
                            value='NVMe SK hynix 1TB'
                        name='inquiry-vendor-id' type=string items=1
                            value='PC601'
                    Device Minor Nodes:
                        dev=(32,0)

dev_path=/pci@0,0/pci8086,a340@1b/pci1c5c,1627@0/blkdev@wACE42E009A062916,0:a
                                spectype=blk type=minor
                                dev_link=/dev/dsk/c6tACE42E009A062916d0s0

dev_path=/pci@0,0/pci8086,a340@1b/pci1c5c,1627@0/blkdev@wACE42E009A062916,0:a,raw
                                spectype=chr type=minor
                                dev_link=/dev/rdsk/c6tACE42E009A062916d0s0
                        dev=(32,1)

dev_path=/pci@0,0/pci8086,a340@1b/pci1c5c,1627@0/blkdev@wACE42E009A062916,0:b
                                spectype=blk type=minor
                                dev_link=/dev/dsk/c6tACE42E009A062916d0s1

dev_path=/pci@0,0/pci8086,a340@1b/pci1c5c,1627@0/blkdev@wACE42E009A062916,0:b,raw
                                spectype=chr type=minor
                                dev_link=/dev/rdsk/c6tACE42E009A062916d0s1

etc.

Is there something special that needs to be done to install OI onto an
NVMe drive?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)