In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Failed (?) boot/set-up on DELL...:

Hi - OK. Checked with ‘txt‘ DVD option - result the same.
Also tryied with USB ‘txt’ boot option - also no booting...

That's unexpected.  I don't have a 780 that I can try, though I did
just try an Optiplex 7010 and the USB txt booted there (but only in BIOS
mode, not in UEFI mode).  The 7010 is perhaps 3-4 years newer than the
780, though, so it's not a great comparison.

From what I can see online, the Optiplex 780 is from 2010 and comes with
either a Core 2 Duo, a Core 2 Quad, or a Core 2 Celeron.  All of those
should be 64 bit capable, which is a requirement for modern OpenIndiana.

About all I can suggest is checking to see if the BIOS version is A15,
which appears to be the latest for the 780.  If not, try upgrading to
that version to see if it makes a difference.

See - screen.
Is that any command I can input after the prompt ‘boot:‘ displayed...???

You can enable verbose boot via the menu, though depending on where the
boot is failing that might not display any additional information.

Others that know the loader better may have ideas for things to try.  The
output from

        lsdev

and possibly the output from

        show