In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS Automount from FreeNAS Server,...:

As an OI newcomer, I'm somewhat confused. I thought mounting was done via
/etc/vfstab entries? Or is something else/more being attempted here?

There's a bit more going on here.

vfstab entries for traditional filesystems are closer to the "static" end
of the filesystem mount "spectrum".  Long before the days of an OS
automatically mounting a USB stick when you inserted it, the
autofs/automountd stack could do something kind of like that, but
generally aimed at network filesystems (NFS).

The classic example that Sun used to champion was a cluster of diskless
workstations that auto-mounted NFS shares (like your home directory)
automatically when needed.  automountd typically played a part in that.

You can read more about it in

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automounter

and the OI/Solaris-ancestry bits in automount(1M), automountd(1M), autofs(4).

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /