On 02/02/20 05:48 AM, Mark Kosmowski wrote:
I'm putting together a home lab / cluster for computational chemistry as a
private individual.  I'm thinking OpenIndiana on the head node (for a
desktop) and OmniOS on the compute nodes.  Are there any downsides to this
that I should be mindful of?

Thanks!

The possible downside is a different set of software provided by OpenIndiana and OmniOS (OpenIndiana is a traditional distribution with large set of packages software, OmniOS tries to keep it's software stack small) and whether you need to interact between nodes of various types. If compute nodes are meant to be separated from the head node, it should work without a problem. OpenIndiana on compute will work too.

Michal