Another option is to backup the current BE to the datapool via zfs send. This can be done continously via incremental send for ongoing backups. If the system disk fails (or you want to replace), add a new disk, install a default OS, import the datapool and restore the BE via zfs send. Then activate this BE and reboot to have the exact former OS installation restored.

 Gea
@napp-it.org