On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 04:53:34PM +0200, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> Your code should work but  ~/.emacs is not the only possible init file.
> Emacs looks for your init file using the filenames ~/.emacs,
> ~/.emacs.el, or ~/.emacs.d/init.el.

The only one I have is .emacs .

> I suggest to make sure you have only one file and then create an .emacs
> file with only
> your two lines
>
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 36))
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 80))
>
> and see what happens.

I tried that, and the same thing with the --no-init-file option.  The
two windows are identical, with 79x35 geometry.  By the way, I get
those numbers by a left mouse click on the border of the window.

When I change the values in .emacs to 37 and 81, I still get the 79x35
geometry.  Something is constraining the window size.  It's the smaller
font that allows the width to increase to 79.

When I press the Maximize Window button in the title bar, the geometry
does increase in both dimensions.  Maybe this is how Mate is supposed
to work.

--
-Gary Mills-            -refurb-                -Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada-