Something like the following will display an uninstalled font, and offer an
install button. It appears to install for that user only, at least if run as a
mere mortal. I don't know if it has any ability to install system-wide, the man
page has very little info.

rlhamil@openindiana:~$ mate-font-viewer NotoSansCherokee-Regular.ttf

With no font file on the command line, mate-font-viewer seems to display (all,
or searched-for) installed fonts.

eMail:                          mailto:rlha...@smart.net