On 6/09/2021 8:34 am, Carl Brewer wrote:
Some more groveling around, and I think I may have found a solution.

You can get HDMI "dummy" plugins, that fool the graphics card into thinking it has a monitor attached.

I got one today, plugged it in to my NVidia 1030's HDMI port, booted the server, and bingo. Working!

I can use lightdm's VNC setup, so I can VNC in to it, perfect. If I disconnect the dummy and plug in the HDMI monitor, it "just works" and there's my GUI console. I don't think it can find a kbd and mouse if they're not plugged in at boot time, but I can live without that, as long as I can ssh and VNC in, I'm happy.

The device is this : https://core-electronics.com.au/hdmi-dummy-plug.html

It's going in my rack cabinet now, and staying there!

Thank you all for your help.

Carl