On Mon, 11 Apr 2022, Judah Richardson wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood the documentation, so here's the verbatim quote:

"By default, the Solaris DHCP client does not supply its own host name,
because the client expects the DHCP server to supply the host name. The
Solaris DHCP server is configured to supply host names to DHCP clients by
default. When you use the Solaris DHCP client and server together, these
defaults work well. However, when you use the Solaris DHCP client with some
third-party DHCP servers, the client might not receive a host name from the
server. If the Solaris DHCP client does not receive a host name through
DHCP, the client system looks at the /etc/nodename file for a name to use
as the host name. If the file is empty, the host name is set to unknown."

The above only applies to how the client gets its name. At one time I used a Solaris DHCP server (and it was great) but I think that server has been deprecated in Solaris and likely removed since then. Most people will be using whatever DHCP server appears on their network, which is often a server in the IP gateway which connects to the Internet.

Regardless, it seems that the latest advisement is that the problem is that the per interface route is being removed and not that the interface IP is being removed.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt