Installing from the minimal *.iso (latest) I cannot see a way to
select a disk my self.

The interface has found a disk GPT disk marked it with an asterisk and
a dash, and no amount moving the selection up/dwn backup up to the
start of the process... not of those do a darn thing.  If I put the
selector bar on a different disk and press f2.  Installer offers to
format the disk but its not the one I selected, but the one it
selected.

There seems no way out of that, even if I completely stop the
installer and start over with a restart of vbox vm.  It still selects
the same old disk by itself.

The only way I've found to proceed at all is to: close the install,
delete the offending disk, create a new one to replace it and start
again.

What am I doing wrong?