> On 4. May 2022, at 15:33, Pierfrancesco Caci <ik5...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a similar setup (host is Debian with KVM), both openindiana and
> omniosce are slower at boot and shutdown than a Linux VM. Omnios is
> marginally faster than OI. openbsd and freebsd are somewhere in between
> Linux and OI. I don't see appreciable differences while using the various
> os.

This all depends on how do you measure the boot process. By console login?

tsoome@beastie:/code/illumos-gate$ svcs -d console-login | sort -u
disabled       apr_30   svc:/system/auditd:default
online         apr_30   svc:/milestone/sysconfig:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/console-login:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/filesystem/minimal:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/identity:node
online         apr_30   svc:/system/utmp:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/vtdaemon:default

and

tsoome@beastie:/code/illumos-gate$ svcs -d lightdm
STATE          STIME    FMRI
online         apr_30   svc:/application/opengl/ogl-select:default
online         apr_30   svc:/application/desktop-cache/gio-module-cache:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/dbus:default
online         apr_30   svc:/milestone/sysconfig:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/utmp:default
online         apr_30   svc:/application/font/fc-cache:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/hal:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/filesystem/local:default
online         apr_30   svc:/application/x11/x11-init:default
online         apr_30   svc:/system/consolekit:default
online         apr_30   svc:/milestone/multi-user:default

See, the console-login depends on few services and will be running pretty
quick; lightdm depends on multi-user milestone, which means, everything else
will bestarted before gui login appears.

So, if you want to compare apples to apples, (oi and omnios), disable the
lightdm;)

Why lightdm depends on multi-user is another (old) topic.

rgds,
toomas