I have a ~3 year old PC, generic motherboard, OI hipster 'something', that last night, I had to force a reboot on, because a zpool scrub was jammed up and nothing would kill it. The scrub was on a raidz pool, not the boot drives, so I figured it would probably be ok. I was wrong!

On reboot, the motherboard's BIOS wasn't seeing the drives as a boot option - it could see them (there's 5, 2 mirrored for zpool, and a raidz array of 3), but wouldn't see them as boot options. It was just jumping straight to the BIOS setup screen at boot-time. A quick poke around in the BIOS confirmed that the BIOS could, at least, see the 5 drives in the box. Then I had to get stuff running, so I didn't have the luxury of time to muck about too much with it.

I booted it off a USB drive and could zpool import them ok, so I copied off the stuff I needed, a couple of VirtualBox VM's, but now I'd like to recover the machine if possible. I have a Borg backup of the bits I needed too, so this wasn't a complete disaster!

Any hints for how to reinstall a boot environment onto an existing zfs mirror? If I have to do a full reinstall onto it, that's not a total disaster, I got what I needed off it, but it would be interesting to do. I haven't yet gone through the BIOS settings to be certain it's not some stupid BIOS default around UEFI or something, but I didn't change the BIOS myself, I suspect that it isn't the problem.