On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 2:25 PM Marcel Telka <mar...@telka.sk> wrote:

> [...]
>
> library/python/augeas
> library/python/backports.shutil_get_terminal_size
> library/python/backports.tempfile
> library/python/cheetah
> library/python/click
> library/python/cssutils
> library/python/cython
> library/python/dulwich
> library/python/geoip
> library/python/elixir
> library/python/import-profiler
> library/python/kafka-python
> library/python/livereload
> library/python/m2crypto
> library/python/mkdocs-bootstrap
> library/python/mkdocs-bootswatch
> library/python/mkdocs
> library/python/netaddr
> library/python/netifaces
> library/python/numpy
> library/python/pygtksourceview
> library/python/pymongo
> library/python/pyorbit
> library/python/pyrex
> library/python/pyro
> library/python/python-ldap
> library/python/python-memcached
> library/python/python-mysql
> library/python/python-notify
> library/python/python-sexy
> library/python/pywbem
> library/python/scientific-py
> library/python/sqlalchemy
> library/python/typing
> library/python/unittest2
>
> Here is a list of packages that could get possibly obsoleted soon:
>
> library/python/backport_abc
> library/python/backports.functools_lru_cache
> library/python/backports.ssl_match_hostname
> library/python/colorama
> library/python/decorator
> library/python/enum
> library/python/flamegraph
> library/python/funcsigs
> library/python/ipaddress
> library/python/ipython
> library/python/ipython_genutils
> library/python/notify2
> library/python/pickleshare
> library/python/prompt-toolkit
> library/python/pyatspi2
> library/python/pycups
> library/python/pygobject
> library/python/pygtk2
> library/python/python-compizconfig
> library/python/python-xdg
> library/python/python-xlib
> library/python/rbtools
> library/python/simplegeneric
> library/python/traitlets
>
> If you need any package from these lists then please create a pull
> request (see https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pulls) to get
> the package back and built for python 3.7 and/or 3.9 (in a case it is on
> the first list of already obsoleted packages), or either let us know or
> create a pull request to rebuild the package for python 3.7 and/or 3.9
> (if it is on the second list of packages we could possibly obsolete).
>
> Any help with this task is very welcome (for example pull requests to
> get software in set #1 rebuilt).
>
> Please note that support for building python modules for python 2.7 and
> 3.5 was already dropped from oi-userland.

I do not understand the need for obsoleting the entire package and removing
all the files instead of updating on the go.

Could you explain the motivation?

To me this seems a bit of overhead, like removing the mkdocs, cython, numpy
packages completely from the tree instead of updating them.
We therefore lose track of what was in the tree and people may start from
scratch all over again.

Maybe you intend to provide some level of automation later?

An earlier heads-up before starting to remove everything could have been
nice to have a chance to update a few components in advance and avoid the
mumbo-jumbo.

Thank you

> Thank you.
>
> --