On Sat, Mar 04, 2023 at 10:24:12PM +0100, Till Wegmüller wrote:
> Due to limitations on how the install media are created at the this is not
> possible. You would have to develop a media that can do that. Some work has
> been done to allow supplying the media via NFS after booting the kernel but
> it is undocumented and very beta.
>
> Contributions welcome. I can also help getting you started on that
> development effort.

The good news is that with this merged:
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/slim_source/pull/72 the install image
supports network booting OOTB.  The only problem is that the latest
available install image at https://www.openindiana.org/download/ was
created before the above PR got merged.

To make the netboot working you just need to mount the ISO image on your NFS
server, share the mounted ISO via NFSv3 and configure your PXE server
properly (see `man pxeboot`).

Without the above PR merged you would additionally need to manually
mount the install media once OpenIndiana boots over PXE using the
following command:

        mount -o vers=3 NFSSERVER:ROOTPATH /.cdrom

HTH.